Airplane Flat Campground
Airplane Flat campground is in an open stand of mature Ponderosa pine. Canyon Creek is known for its trout fishing. Wildlife includes: Abert squirrel, black bear, mountain lion, elk, turkey and deer.
Pack it in, Pack it out.
At a Glance
|Current Conditions:||Restrooms will be serviced once a week. Please pack it in, pack it out!|
|Permit Info:||Permit required through the District Office if over 75 people.|
|Closest Towns:||Payson, Young, Forest Lakes|
|Water:||No water available|
|Restroom:||Vault toilets, one toilet is equipped with grab bars.|
|Passes:||No fees or passes required.|
|Information Center:||Payson Ranger District (928) 474-7900|
Access #1 - From Payson, travel 33 miles east on Hwy 260. Turn right on Young Road/Forest Road 512 and continue for 3 miles to Forest Road 33. Turn left on FR 33 (unpaved) and travel 4 1/2 miles to the site.
Access #2 - From Young, take Hwy 288 (unpaved)/Forest Road 512 north for 23 miles to Forest Road 33. Turn right onto FR 33 and continue for 4 1/2 miles to the site. View and download a map.
- In the winter, temperatures can dip into the teens.
- Both FR 512 and FR 33 are unpaved roads, four-wheel-drive or chains are advised after heavy rains or snow
- Bear-proof your camp -- especially food stuff.
- Fishing on the section of canyon creek, south of OW Ranch, is restricted to artificial flies and lures only.
- Pack it in Pack it out.
- Dispose of waste properly.
- Leave what you find.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
There are no designated camping units, only dispersed sites. Please adhere to the possible fire restrictions on the forest, and pack out whatever trash you pack in.
River and Stream Fishing
Near Canyon Creek: Fish Species: Rainbow Trout; Brown Trout
|Species||Abert squirrel, black bear, mountain lion, elk, turkey, and deer|
Alerts & Warnings
- Rattlesnake Cove Recreation Fishing Dock Closure 03-12-01-22-26
- Offices closed Dec. 6, reopening Dec. 7
- Amended - Apache Lake Closure - Lower Burnt Corral Campground remains closed
- Bald Eagle Seasonal Closures
- Occupancy and Use Restrictions
- Update on State Route 88 (Apache Trail) - August 18, 2021
- Redmond Fire Road Closure