Musick Guard Station
Musick Guard Station sits atop the narrow forested ridge that rises between Fairview Peak and Grouse Mountain. It is part of the Bohemia Mining District. The area was named after James "Bohemia" Johnson, a mountaineer and prospector, who discovered gold-bearing quartz in this area in 1863. The discovery created much short-lived excitement in the Willamette Valley, but settlers soon realized the gold had to be extracted from the rock by machinery, not panned from the many streambeds. By 1910, most of the ore had been removed, but some mining continues today.
The rustic two-story cabin, stained a deep, dark brown, almost blends in with the tall timbers that surround it. The main floor features a central room with an adjoining kitchen and bedroom. The bunkroom upstairs provides additional sleeping quarters. The cabin is furnished with two double wooden platform beds and four bunk beds. The kitchen is equipped with a wood cook stove and oven to provide heat. No mattress or kitchen utensils are provided. The cabin is not equipped with lights, a refrigerator or water. Visitors must bring plenty of water for drinking, cooking and washing, as well as their own firewood. A fire ring and a vault toilet are located near the cabin.
- Availability: Musick Guard Station is available for rent mid-June or early July through October, depending on snow accumulation.
- Price & Capacity: $50 per night per group, with a maximum of ten occupants. Fees are used directly for the maintenance and preservation of the guard station.
- Reservations: Reservations must be made at least two days in advance. The maximum-length stay is seven consecutive nights. Visit Recreation.gov to make reservations.
Musick Guard Station was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1934 to provide fire protection to the Bohemia Mining District. The expansive views of the area including Champion Creek, which was not visible from any other lookout or covered by any other guard station, made this location ideal.
Musick Guard Station became an important public contact point and administrative center for the Forest Service. It was used by Bohemia Ranger District (now known as Cottage Grove Ranger District) fireguard, packer and District Ranger between the years 1933 and 1934. Later, it was used as summer barracks for trail crews and firefighting crews. The Guard Station was named after the nearby Musick Mine, a major gold producing mine in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
At a Glance
|Current Conditions:||07/19/2022: Open. Reserve through Recreation.gov.|
|Open Season:||Early Summer|
General InformationGeneral Notes:
- Pets are welcome
- No smoking
- Vault toilet
- Fire pit
- Oven and cook stove
- Wood stove
- There is an additional area outside for tent camping.
From Cottage Grove, OR, travel east on Row River Road 2400 for 19 miles to Brice Creek Road 2470. Keep right and continue on Brice Creek Road 2470 for 12 miles to Noonday Road 2212. Turn right on Forest Road 2212 and continue for 8.8 miles to Sharps Creek Road 2460. Keep left and travel on Sharps Creek Road 2460 for 0.6-mile to the gated entrance on the right.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
The area is surrounded by rugged summits up to 6,000 feet high and steep slopes heavily timbered with fir, spruce and hemlock. Bohemia City can be viewed from Fairview Peak Lookout and from Bohemia Mountain trail.
Musick Mine and Bohemia City is a point of interest to history buffs and fortune seekers. It was one of the most productive gold mines in the district during the late 1800s and into the early 1900s, However, since many of the mines are private property and there are inherent dangers associated with mining sites, it is important not to trespass on, vandalize or enter any tunnels or shafts. Instead enjoy the spectacular views, hike trails through the forest, and imagine life as it once was in the era of an active mining community.