North Umpqua Trail #1414.06 Jessie Wright Segment
In 1915, Jesse Wright (1898-1990) and her husband, Perry, homesteaded nearby. The trail will take you along an old roadbed, into Dark Canyon, through a forest of Douglas-fir and big-leaf maple, and below the volcanic remnants of Eagle Rock and Old Man Rock (western end of trail). The Illahee Flats Trail (area is unavailable), Boulder Creek Trail and Bradley Trail intersect with this segment. Near Soda Spring Trailhead you'll see spectacular columnar basalt which are vertical columns formed when molten lava flowed, then cooled. Ove the years, brightly colored lichens add spectacular contract to the rock color.
Illahee Flats Trail: Leads to a scenic Cascade meadow used in the past as an American Indian gathering place and an U.S. Forest Service Guard Station. Now it is a popular area for horse riders.
At a Glance
|Current Conditions:||11/18/2022: Logged out in November, but expect more downed trees through fire scar.|
|Open Season:||Year Round|
|Restrictions:||Motorized use prohibited|
|Closest Towns:||Roseburg, OR|
|Water:||Not available. Surface water should be treated.|
|Operated By:||Forest Service|
|Information Center:||Diamond Lake Ranger District|
From Roseburg, OR, turn on OR-138 east / northeast Diamond Lake Boulevard. Continue on Highway 138:
- Continue on Highway 138 to milepost 50.
- Turn right on Forest Road 4770, at Marsters Trailhead, east side of Marsters Bridge. The trailhead is approximately 600 feet downstream. Horse trailers need to park at the wide area along Forest Road 4770, 300 feet from the highway.
- To reach the Soda Springs Trailhead, continue on OR-138 to milepost 55 where you should turn north onto Forest Road 4775. Immediately turn left onto Forest Road 4775-011. The trailhead is at milepost 1.3, between Soda Springs Dam and Soda Springs Power House. The actual trail is accessed from parking area by following Forest Road 4775-011, 1.2 miles west, past the power house. Parking and trailhead location are separated by a primitive road.
Alerts & Warnings
- Forest Order 06-15-03-22-464 Rescinded 09/21/2022
- Forest Order 06-15-03-22-468 Dated 09/21/2022
- Forest Order 06-15-03-22-467 Rescinded 09/13/2022
- Road 4720 & 4720-005 Closed Starting 9/19/22
- Forest Order #06-18-00-22-14 Dated 08/04/2022
- Termination of Order No. 06-15-00-22-460 No PURS in Effect
- Stay Limit on the Umpqua National Forest