North Umpqua Trail #1414.02 Mott Segment
Paralleling the North Umpqua River, this segment serves as an excellent year-round access for all trail users. Passing through an old-growth forest at the western portion, the trail follows the river with the small scramble trails down to the waters edge, where you can enjoy fly-fishing as well as beautiful scenery.
East of Wright Creek is the McDonald Trail. On the north side of the river is the Riverview Trail.
- McDonald Trail: After several steep switchbacks, this 4 mile side trail passes through middle-aged and old-growth forests and an old homestead. Wildflowers abound in the spring.
- Riverview Trail: The original North Umpqua Highway was built in 1926. Today this route is a six-mile side trail (#1530) that offers hikers and mountain bikers a loop opportunity when combined with the Mott Segment of the North Umpqua Trail and Highway 138. Access to the trail is either from Bogus Creek Campground on the west end or just off Highway 138 on Forest Road 38 on the east end.
At a Glance
|Current Conditions:||02/10/2023:Closed due to Archie Creek Fire - the majority of this stretch of the trail is closed by Closure Order Number 06-15-00-22-459. A short stretch of the trail by Steamboat Inn to Station Creek is open. Visit http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/umpqua/alerts-notices for details. There is still lots of debris on trail, and bridges are still out.|
|Open Season:||Year Round|
|Restrictions:||Motorized use prohibited|
|Closest Towns:||Roseburg, OR|
|Water:||Not available. Surface water should be treated.|
|Operated By:||Forest Service|
|Information Center:||North Umpqua Ranger District|
From Roseburg, OR, take OR-138 east / northeast Diamond Lake Boulevard. Travel east to milepost 34.1 to reach the western trailhead, which is the Wright Creek Trailhead, on Forest Road 4711 on south side of river. Travel to milepost 29.2 to reach the eastern trailhead, which is the Mott Trailhead, on Forest Road 4712 on south side of river. Horse trailer parking is limited.
River and Stream Fishing
Fly fishing only.
- This is segment 2 of 11 (travelling west to east) of the North Umpqua Trail #1414 that is over 79 miles long.
- Previous segment: Tioga
- Next segment: Panther
Alerts & Warnings
- Forest Order 06-15-03-22-464 Rescinded 09/21/2022
- Forest Order 06-15-03-22-468 Dated 09/21/2022
- Forest Order 06-15-03-22-467 Rescinded 09/13/2022
- Road 4720 & 4720-005 Closed Starting 9/19/22
- Forest Order #06-18-00-22-14 Dated 08/04/2022
- Termination of Order No. 06-15-00-22-460 No PURS in Effect
- Stay Limit on the Umpqua National Forest