Quandary Peak #47
Quandary Peak is widely regarded as one of the easier, least technical Fourteener’s to summit, but in reality none of the Fourteener’s are easy hikes due to the high elevation and variable weather conditions. Hikers that make it to the summit are rewarded with spectacular views. From the summit of Quandary Peak to the north you can view the Tenmile and Gore Range. Because this trail travels above timberline, you should begin your hike early in the morning because of the ever changing mountain weather. There is always a strong chance of afternoon thundershowers accompanied by LIGHTNING.
Summit County will start its reservation system for parking at the Quandary Peak parking lot off Hwy 9 on June 1. You will need a reservation to park. Shuttle service from South Gondola Lot in Breckenridge starts June 15. Reservations for the parking lot as well as for the shuttle can be made on www.parkquandary.com . More details are available from Summit County. Parking on McCollough Gulch Rd (including Quandary Peak Trailhead area), Blue Lakes Rd or Highway 9 will not be allowed and will be enforced by Summit County.
* There is a printable Recreation Quicksheet for this trail which is complete with directions, a map, details, and other information about this trail. Or to see quicksheets for other recreation areas across the Forest, click on the "Recreation Quicksheets" link in the right column and select the appropriate Ranger District.
At a Glance
|Restrictions:||Closed to motor vehicles.|
|Closest Towns:||Breckenridge, CO|
|Information Center:||Dillon Ranger District; 680 Blue River Parkway, Silverthorne, CO 970-468-5400|
**Directions to the Quandary Trailhead Lot**
From I-70 take Exit 203, Frisco/Breckenridge, and travel south on Hwy 9 approximately 10 miles to the town of Breckenridge. Continue through Breckenridge on Hwy 9 (Main Street). You will pass the town of Blue River, travel 4 miles and then turn right onto Blue Lakes Road (FDR 850). The parking lot will be on your right. This parking lot will be available for parking without a reservation during the winter operating months.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
Alerts & Warnings
- Garibaldi Gulch (NFSR 356) closed through Oct. 7
- Crystal Mill Road (NFSR 314) closed Oct. 3-7
- NFSR 700 to be closed at Red Sandstone Creek through Oct. 14
- Keystone Gulch Road closed to motor traffic at Upper Gate
- Homestake Reservoir Dam parking area closed
- Logging traffic on Boreas Pass, Indiana Creek
- Grizzly Creek Trail and Canyon closed after 2 miles
- Coulter Lake Closure