Iron Mountain Trail #3389
Set aside for its botanical interest, Iron Mountain provides habitat for more than 300 species of flowering plants, which share their beauty throughout the summer season. You will pass through several meadows interspersed with alpine trees before reaching the bare volcanic rock at the top.
This Old Cascades area is a wonderful hiking experience with meadows, springs, alpine environments, and a tremendous variety of flora.
A viewing platform will be waiting for you when you reach the top of the mountain. An interpretive brochure is available at the trailhead.
At a Glance
|Closest Towns:||Sweet Home, OR|
|Passes:||A valid Recreation Pass is required at Iron Mountain - Road 15 Trailhead and Iron Mountain - Civil Road Trailhead.|
|Information Center:||Sweet Home Ranger Station|
- Iron Mountain - Road 15 Trailhead (Fee site)
- Iron Mountain - Civil Road Trailhead (Fee site)
Note: You can take a loop hike around Iron Mountain by connecting this trail with the Cone Peak Trail and Santiam Wagon Road.
Iron Mountain is famous for its spectacular wild flowers in spring. It provides habitat for more than 300 species of flowering plants, which share their beauty throughout the summer season.
Alerts & Warnings
- Middle Fork RD: Prescribed Burn Planned for 5/24/23
- Middle Fork RD: Road contruction on Rd 21 will cause delays
- FIRE CLOSURES: Cedar Creek, Beachie Creek & Lionshead, Holiday Farm, Potter, etc
- Forest Road 46 open for 11 miles; portion closed to vehicle traffic
- Pile Burning November-March 2023