Waterfalls Loop Trail #3503
Beginning at its northern junction with the McKenzie River National Recreation Trail #3507, Water Falls Loop Trail travels the east side of the McKenzie River bearing south. The trail passes through an old growth conifer forest as it reaches the Sahalie Falls viewpoint, then continues south to the Koosah Falls viewpoint before reaching its southern end where it rejoins the McKenzie River Trail.
You can make a loop by connecting with the McKenzie River Trail.
At a Glance
|Current Conditions:||9/7/23: Temporarily closed due to Lookout Fire. See closure order and map. Parking lot is not maintained for snow and ice in the winter. Be aware of slippery conditions. Please do not park on the side of the highway.|
|Restrictions:||Motorized Vehicles and Stock Prohibited|
|Closest Towns:||McKenzie Bridge, OR|
|Water:||Potable water available at Ice Cap Campground.|
|Information Center:||McKenzie River Ranger Station|
FROM HWY 126 (MCKENZIE BRIDGE, OR): Travel east on Highway 126 to Carmen Reservoir. Just north of the turnoff to Carmen Reservoir, turn left at the Ice Cap Campground/Koosah Falls sign to access Koosah Falls.
To start at Sahalie Falls, proceed another 1/2 mile north of the Koosah Falls turnoff on Highway 126. The parking area is located on the left.
Bicyclists must dismount and walk bicycles on the east side of the loop between Koosah and Sahalie Falls Viewpoints.
- Parking: There is no official winter access point as Forest Service roads and parking areas are not maintained for snow and ice. There is typically a small pullout plowed at Sahalie Falls Viewpoint, but depending on the weather and road conditions, roadside parking can be very dangerous. If you park alongside the highway, please use caution and make sure your vehicle is pulled off as far as possible. If the roadside parking area has not been plowed out, do not park in the highway. This is very dangerous for you, your vehicle and other drivers.
- Hiking: The trail is not marked. Route-finding can be difficult when the trail is snow covered. Snowshoes or skis are recommended.
- Sahalie & Koosah Falls
- Ice Cap Creek Campground
- Lakes End Campground
- Olallie Campground
- Cold Water Cove Campground
- Mt. Washington Wilderness
Alerts & Warnings
- ACTIVE FIRES: Petes Lake, Lookout, Bedrock, etc.
- FIRE CLOSURES: Wiley, Lookout, Bedrock, Cedar Creek, Beachie Creek & Lionshead
- Public Use Restrictions (Fire Restrictions) in Effect
- Prescribed burn planned in McKenzie Sept. 22
- Forest Road 46 open from Detroit to Estacada for summer
- Road NF-1993 across Cougar Dam closed for construction June 5-Sept. 28, 2023