One of the busier sno-parks in the Santiam winter recreation area, Maxwell Sno-Park is located 3.5 miles west of Santiam Junction on state Highway 22. There is 25 miles of trails from easy to more difficult. Some trails through old growth forest and some offer views of Maxwell Butte, Three Finger Jack and Duffy Butte.
Mountain View Shelter can also be accessed from several trails. From the shelter on a clear day, visitors can see Mount Washington and the North Sister as well as Three Finger Jack, which is just five or six miles away.
Know Before You Go in Winter: Tips on how to plan ahead and prepare for your trip to ensure the best possible time for you and others who will be sharing the snow with you.
At a Glance
|Permit Info:||Sno-Park Permit Required|
|Closest Towns:||Detroit, OR|
|Information Center:||Detroit Ranger District
44125 North Santiam Highway SE
Detroit, OR 97342
General InformationGeneral Notes:
Snow level information: Santiam Junction Snotel
From Detroit, Oregon, head east on Highway 22 for 29 miles to Maxwell Sno-park on the left side of the highway.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
Alerts & Warnings
- FIRE CLOSURES: Cedar Creek, Beachie Creek & Lionshead, Holiday Farm, Potter, etc
- Forest Road 46 open for 11 miles; portion closed to vehicle traffic
- Pile Burning November-March 2023
- Helicopter Operations Near McKenzie Bridge Oct. 19-Feb. 1
- Carmen Diversion Reservoir closed through 2023