Shady Cove Campground
Shady Cove Campground, located within the Opal Creek Scenic Recreation Area (area is unavailable), offers visitors a primitive camping experience along the Little North Fork of the Santiam River. Numerous trails within a short distance of the campground offer scenic mountain vistas, waterfalls, and hikes through majestic old-growth forests. Three Pools Day Use Site is also nearby
The campground is open year-round but access is dependent on road conditions and weather. In the winter the road can become impassable, as it is not maintained for snow and ice. Travel is at your own risk. Early season (April and May) may provide a wet experience, but late season (September and October) is usually a grea time for camping.
At a Glance
|Current Conditions:||10/13/2022: Site burnt over in Beachie Creek Fire. Site hazards will be addressed in 2022. See map of Beachie Creek and Lionshead Fire closure area.|
|Reservations:||No advance reservations. All sites are first come first serve.|
|Area Amenities:||Tent camping,Camping trailer,Picnic tables,Toilets|
|Busiest Season:||July - August|
|Restroom:||Vault Toilets (1)|
|Passes:||Interagency Senior and Access Passes (and the Golden Age and Access Passes) may receive a 50% discount on the use fee for individual campsites. This discount does not apply to extra vehicle fee or multiple campsites.|
|Operated By:||Willamette National Forest|
|Information Center:||Detroit Ranger District
44125 North Santiam Highway SE
Detroit, OR 97342
18.5 miles northeast of Mehama, Oregon.
From Salem, Oregon, travel east on State Highway 22 to Mehama.
At milepost 23, turn left (north) onto Little North Fork Road (next to the Oregon Department of Forestry building) and proceed for 15.3 miles to the Forest Boundary. Continue of gravel, FS Road 2209 for 1.3 miles to the intersection of FS Road 2207. Turn right and continue another 1.9 miles to Shady Cove Campground on the right.
- Garbage collection
- NO water
- Opal Creek Wilderness
- Opal Creek Wilderness and Scenic Area (area is unavailable)
- Three Pools Day Use Area
Read about camping rules, regulations and camping tips on our Camping Rules & Things to Know page.
All vehicles parked at the campground must display a valid pass.
Forest Road 2207
- No parking along Road 2207 between the junction with Road 2209 and the Shady Cove Bridge.
- No parking along the south side of Road 2207 between Shady Cove Bridge and the eastern Opal Creek SRA boundary. Parking on the north shoulder allowed.
- Access into existing dispersed or undeveloped campsites open for parking, camping and day use.
Forest Road 2209
- Parking allowed only along the south shoulder within ¼ mile of the Opal Creek Trailhead and at the designated trailhead parking areas for Henline Falls, Henline Mountain and Nasty Rock Trailheads.
- 15 minute parking limit at the visitor information kiosk at the 2209/2207 road junction.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
- Tent, auto, limited small trailer sites (maximum trailer length 16 feet)
|No. of Sites||13|
|Reservation Info||No reservations. Sites are available on a first come, first served basis.|
|No. of Accessible sites||None|
River and Stream Fishing
|Camping trailer:||Up to 16 feet in length|
|Picnic tables:||All sites have at least one table|
|Tent camping:||All sites accommodate tents|
Alerts & Warnings
- FIRE CLOSURES: Cedar Creek, Beachie Creek & Lionshead, Holiday Farm, Potter, etc
- Forest Road 46 open for 11 miles; portion closed to vehicle traffic
- Pile Burning November-March 2023
- Helicopter Operations Near McKenzie Bridge Oct. 19-Feb. 1
- Carmen Diversion Reservoir closed through 2023