Hackleman Old Growth Trail #3411
Two short loop trails take you through a classic old growth stand of Douglas-Fir, Western Red Cedar, and Western Hemlock. You may feel dwarfed by some trees, several are more than 500 years old, and have survived floods, fire, and wind storms.
One loop winds along Hackleman Creek, home to the Hackleman trout, a subspecies of cutthroat trout. The other loop continues along a segment of the Old Santiam Wagon Road is designed for wheelchair access. Please note that the wheelchair access is considered difficult due to grade.
An interpretive brochure, available at the trailhead, challenges you to think about the complexity of old growth forests.
At a Glance
|Closest Towns:||Cascadia and Sweet Home, Oregon|
|Water:||Water from streams should be filtered.|
|Information Center:||Sweet Home Ranger District
4431 Highway 20
Sweet Home, OR 97386
Access from Hackleman Old Growth Trailhead
River and Stream Fishing
Alerts & Warnings
- FIRE CLOSURES: Cedar Creek, Beachie Creek & Lionshead, Holiday Farm, Potter, etc
- Forest Road 46 open for 11 miles; portion closed to vehicle traffic
- Pile Burning November-March 2023
- Helicopter Operations Near McKenzie Bridge Oct. 19-Feb. 1
- Carmen Diversion Reservoir closed through 2023