Juneau, AK 99801-8791
My current research interests include bioenergy applications in Alaska, wood and coal cofiring, international bioenergy policies, life cycle analysis of wood energy systems, community energy management, and forest carbon sequestration.
My past research has focused on marketing underutilized hardwoods in Alaska, consumer preferences for secondary wood products, and character-mark evaluations for Alaskan species.
This research is important because it has broad-ranging implications from community to international scales. Renewable energy issues have become increasingly important in the wake of high energy prices and a desire to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Bioenergy research can play a vital role in finding solutions that enhance both sustainable forest management and community economic development.
- Penn State University, Ph.D., Wood Science and Technology, 1989
- University of Minnesota, M.S., Forest Products, 1984
- Oregon State University, B.S., Forest Management, 1982
Forest Products Technologist,
USDA Forest Service, Pacific NW Research Station, Goods Services and Values Program,
Primary research areas: 1). wood residue and biomass utilization for energy and other products 2). hardwood utilization issues for Alaska’s primary hardwood species 3). wood products marketing and consumer preferences 4). life cycle analysis of bioenergy systems
Warnell School of Forest Resources, University of Georgia,
Responsibilities included assisting up to three faculty members conducting wood science research in several areas including computer imaging applications, wood-resin utilization, and wood quality.
Department of Commerce, State of North Carolina,
Responsible for renewable energy management and project development.
Project Coordinator- Michigan Wood Energy Demonstration Project,
Department of Forestry, Michigan State University,
Responsible for developing a research program related to wood utilization for energy, and for coordinating wood energy technology transfer activities.
Society of American Foresters (SAF),
Since 2005 I have attended several conferences in Alaska and nationally, presenting research findings with an emphasis on bioenergy.
Forest Products Society (FPS),
Since 2000 I have been involved in several working groups, membership committees, and technical interest groups, with a focus on hardwood utilization and marketing.
- Nicholls, David L.; Monserud, Robert A.; Dykstra, Dennis P.. 2008. A synthesis of biomass utilization for bioenergy production in the Western United States.
- Nicholls, D.L.; Monserud, R.; Dykstra, D.. 2008. Biomass utilization for bioenergy in the Western United States
- Nicholls, David; Miles, Tom. 2009. Cordwood energy systems for community heating in Alaska--an overview
- Nicholls, David L.; Huang, Daisy. 2020. Combustion efficiency and emissions analysis for a school wood energy system in interior Alaska
- Nicholls, David L.; Deal, Robert L.; Warren, Andrew. 2020. Oregon’s biomass producer tax credit—impacts of land ownership on woody bioenergy use
- Bumgardner, Matthew S.; Nicholls, David L.. 2020. Sustainable practices in furniture design: A literature study on customization, biomimicry, competitiveness, and product Communication
- Nicholls, David L.; Deering, Robert ; Miles, Thomas R.. 2019. Engineered wood fuels for southeast Alaska—local wood chips for thermal energy applications, and the specific case of Haines, Alaska
- Nicholls, David; Wright, Zackery; Huang, Daisy. 2018. Wood and coal cofiring in Alaska—operational considerations and combustion gas effects for a grate-fired power plant
- Nicholls, David ; Bumgardner, Matthew. 2018. Challenges and opportunities for North American hardwood manufacturers to adopt customization strategies in an era of increased competition
- Nicholls, David ; Halbrook, Jeffrey ; Benedum, Michelle ; Han, Han-Sup ; Lowell, Eini ; Becker, Dennis ; Barbour, R.. 2018. Socioeconomic constraints to biomass removal from forest lands for fire risk reduction in the western U.S.
- Nicholls, David L.. 2017. Economic sensitivity and risk analysis for small-scale wood pellet systems—an example from southeast Alaska
- Brackley, Allen M.; Nicholls, David L.; Puettmann, Maureen; Oneil, Elaine. 2017. Life cycle assessment of wood energy for residential heating—opportunities for wood pellet production in southeast Alaska
- Nicholls, David; Brackley, Allen; Deering, Robert; Parrent, Daniel; Kleinhenz, Brian; Moore, Craig. 2016. Case study comparison of two pellet heating facilities in southeastern Alaska
- Rudie, Alan W.; Houtman, Carl J.; Groom, Les; Nicholls, David L.; Zhu, Junyong. 2016. A survey of bioenergy research in Forest Service Research and Development
- Nicholls, David; Bumgardner, Matt. 2015. Low-grade and character-marked hardwoods: A research review and synthesis of solid wood manufacturing and marketing
- Nicholls, David L.; Brackley, Allen M.; Parrent, Daniel J.. 2015. Economic and environmental benefits of community-scale cordwood hydronic heaters in Alaska—three case studies
- White, Rachel; Nicholls, David; Brackley, Allen; Deering, Robert. 2015. Alaska’s energy anxiety
- Nicholls, David; Patterson, Trista. 2015. Greenhouse gas emissions versus forest sequestration in temperate rain forests—a southeast Alaska analysis
- Nicholls, David; Barnes, Frank; Acrea, Felicia; Chen, Chinling; Buluç, Lara Y.; Parker, Michele M.. 2015. Top-down and bottom-up approaches to greenhouse gas inventory methods—a comparison between national- and forest-scale reporting methods
- Patterson, Trista; Nicholls, David; Long, Jonathan. 2015. Research and development portfolio of the sustainability science team national sustainable operations USDA Forest Service
- Nicholls, David; Patterson, Trista. 2013. Community energy management in Sitka, Alaska: What strategies can help increase energy independence?
- Meyer, Rachelle S.; Nicholls, David L.; Patterson, Trista M.; White, Rachel E.. 2013. Energy efficiency in U.S. Forest Service facilities: a multiregion review
- Nicholls, David; Zerbe, John. 2012. Cofiring biomass and coal for fossil fuel reduction and other benefits–Status of North American facilities in 2010
- Brackley, Allen; Nicholls, David; Hannan, Mike. 2010. Red alder potential in Alaska
- Nicholls, D.; Bumgardner, M.; Barber, V.. 2010. Consumer and manufacturer perceptions of hardwood panels made from character-marked lumber
- Nicholls, David L.; Funck, J.W.; Brunner, C.C.; Reeb, J.E.. 2009. Influence of edging practices on cutting yields of Alaska birch lumber
- Bumgardner, Matthew; Nicholls, David; Barber, Valerie. 2009. Character-marked furniture made from red alder harvested in southeast Alaska: product perspectives from consumers and retailers
- Brackley, Allen M.; Nicholls, David; Hannan, Michael. 2009. An evaluation of the grades and value of red alder lumber in southeast Alaska
- Bumgardner, Matthew; David, Nicholls; Barber, Valerie. 2009. Character-marked furniture made from red alder harvested in southeast Alaska: product perspectives from consumers and retailers
- Nicholls, David; Brackley, Allen. 2009. House log drying rates in southeast Alaska for covered and uncovered softwood logs
- Nicholls, David; Roos, Joseph. 2007. Red alder kitchen cabinets—How does application of commercial stains influence customer choice?
- Nicholls, David L.; Stiefel, Maria C.. 2007. Market opportunities for kitchen cabinets made from Alaska hardwoods: a synthesis and review of recent research.
- Nicholls, David; Bumgardner, Matthew. 2007. Evaluating selected demographic factors related to consumer preferences for furniture from commercial and from underutilized species.
- Nicholls, David. 2007. Wood working: planing and moulding in the last frontier
- Roos, Joseph; Nicholls, David L.. 2006. Domestic market opportunities for Alaska lumber-species preferences by secondary wood products manufacturers in the continental United States.
- Nicholls, David L.; Patterson, Stephen E.; Uloth, Erin. 2006. Wood and coal cofiring in interior Alaska: utilizing woody biomass from wildland defensible-space fire treatments and other sources.
- Nicholls, David L.; Brackley, Allen M.; Rojas, Thomas D.. 2006. Alaska's lumber-drying industry—impacts from a federal grant program.
- Nicholls, David L.; Roos, Joseph. 2006. Lumber attributes, characteristics, and species preferences as indicated by secondary wood products firms in the continental United States.
- Nicholls, David L.. 2005. Proceedings: linking healthy forests and communities—successful strategies and future directions.
- Donovan, Geoffrey H.; Nicholls, David L.; Roos, Joseph. 2004. Sources of product information used by consumers when purchasing kitchen cabinets.
- Nicholls, David L.; Donovan, Geoffrey H.; Roos, Joseph. 2004. Consumer preferences for kitchen cabinets made from red alder: a comparison to other hardwoods.
- Monserud, Robert A.; Lowell, Eini C.; Becker, Dennis R.; Hummel, Susan Stevens; Donoghue, Ellen M.; Barbour, R. James; Kilborn, Kenneth A.; Nicholls, David L.; Roos, Joe; Cantrell, Randall A.. 2004. Contemporary wood utilization research needs in the Western United States.
- Nicholls, David L.; Zerbe, John I.; Bergman, Richard D., PhD.; Crimp, Peter M.. 2004. Use of wood energy for lumber drying and community heating in southeast Alaska
- Nicholls, David L.; Brackley, Allen M.; Allen, Travis. 2003. Moisture distributions in western hemlock lumber from trees harvested near Sitka, Alaska.
- Donovan, Geoffrey H.; Nicholls, David L.. 2003. Estimating consumer willingness to pay a price premium for Alaska secondary wood products.
- Donovan, Geoffrey H.; Nicholls, David L.; Roos, Joseph. 2003. Marketing recommendations for wood products from Alaska birch, red alder, and Alaska yellow-cedar.
- Nicholls, David L.. 2002. Evaluation of the retail market potential for locally produced paper birch lumber in Alaska.
- Nicholls, David L.; Crimp, Peter M.. 2002. Feasibility of using wood wastes to meet local heating requirements of communities in the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska.
- Nicholls, David L.; Kilborn, Kenneth A.. 2001. Assessment of the lumber drying industry and current potential for value-added processing in Alaska.