Daniel R. Miller
Athens, GA 30602-2044
● Trap Lures for Coneworms
● Trap Lures for Pine Engravers
● Ambrosia Beetle Lures
● Trap Lure for Pine Sawyers
● Trap Lures for Hardwood Borers
● Protocols for Trapping Bark and Wood Boring Beetles
● Detection Tools for Acorn and Reproduction Weevils
- Chemical ecology of bark and wood boring beetles
- Detection and monitoring tools for exotic insects
- Management programs for pests of pine seed orchards and plantations
- Simon Fraser University, Ph.D., Forest Entomology, 1991
- Simon Fraser University, M.S., Forest Pest Management, 1984
- Carleton University, B.S., Biology, 1979
Forest health consultant,
Provide forest health assessments and management advice to industrial and government forest managers in British Columbia.
Forest health consultant,
Develop new trapping programs and lures for forest bark beetles.
- D R Miller, C M Crowe, P D Mayo, L S Reid, P J Silk, J D Sweeney. 2017. Interactions between ethanol, syn-2,3-hexanediol, 3-hydroxyhexan-2-one, and 3-hydroxyoctan-2-one lures on trap catches of hardwood longhorn beetles in southeastern united states
- Daniel R. Miller, Robert J. Rabaglia, Christopher M. Crowe. 2011. Ethanol and ()-α-pinene for detecting and monitoring bark and ambrosia beetles in the southeastern USA
- Dan Miller, J. D. Allison, C. M. Crowe, Matthew Dickinson, A. Eglitis, R. W. Hofstetter, A. S. Munson, Therese M. Poland, L. S. Reid, B. E. Steed, J. D. Sweeney. 2016. Pine sawyers (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) attracted to a-pinene, monochamol, and ipsenol in North America
- Daniel R. Miller, Christopher M. Crowe, Brittany F. Barnes, Kamal J. K. Gandhi, Donald A. Duerr. 2013. Attaching Lures to Multiple-Funnel Traps Targeting Saproxylic Beetles (Coleoptera) in Pine Stands: Inside or Outside Funnels?
- Jeremy D. Allison, Jessica I. McKenney, Daniel R. Miller, Matthew L. Gimmel. 2012. Role of Ipsdienol, Ipsenol, and cis-Verbenol in chemical ecology of Ips avulsus, Ips calligraphus, and Ips grandicollis (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae)
- Daniel Miller, Jeremy Allison. 2011. Variation in enantiospecific attraction of Ips avulsus (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) to the pheromone ipsdienol in Georgia.
- Brittany F. Barnes, Daniel R. Miller, Chris Asaro, James R. Meeker, Wood Johnson, Kamal J.K. Gandhi. 2011. Distribution and biology of native siricidae and associated hymenopteran parasitoid species in the southeastern United States
- Kamal J.K. Gandhi, Christopher Asaro, Brittany F. Barnes, Jamie Dinkins, Wood Johnson, Victor C. Mastro, Jim R. Meeker, Daniel R. Miller, John R. Riggins, Kelley E. Zylstra. 2011. Behavior and ecology of exotic and native siricids and their hymenopteran parasitoids in southern pine stands
- Daniel R. Miller, Chris Asaro, Christopher M. Crowe, James R. Meeker, Donald A. Duerr. 2011. Attractants for longhorn beetles in the southeastern U.S. - pine volatiles and engraver pheromones
- D. R. Miller, C. M. Crowe, K. J. Dodds, L. D. Galligan, P. de Groot, E. R. Hoebeke, A. E. Mayfield, T. M. Poland, K. F. Raffa, J. D. Sweeney. 2015. Ipsenol, ipsdienol, ethanol, and á-pinene: trap lure blend for Cerambycidae and Buprestidae (Coleoptera) in pine forests of eastern North America
- D.R. Miller, J.T. Nowak, A.E. Mayfield. 2022. Siricid parasitoids (Hymenoptera: Ichneumonidae) from eastern white pine and associated pine species in Southern Appalachia
- D.R. Miller, C.M. Crowe. 2022. Trap type affects catches of bark and woodboring beetles in a southern pine stand.
- D Miller, C Crowe, P Mayo, P Silk, J D. Sweeney. 2021. Interactions between syn - and anti -2,3-hexanediol lures on trap catches of woodboring beetles and associates in southeastern United States.
- Carol L. Bedoya, Richard W. Hofstetter, Ximena J. Nelson, Michael Hayes, Daniel R. Miller, Eckehard G. Brockerhoff. 2021. Sound production in bark and ambrosia beetles
- D.R. Miller. 2020. Flight Period of Sirex nigricornis (Hymenoptera: Siricidae) in western North Carolina
- D.R. Miller. 2020. Effects of ethanol and α-pinene in a generic trap lure blend for pine bark and wood-boring beetles in southeastern United States
- D Miller, C Crowe, J D. Sweeney. 2019. Trap height affects catches of bark and woodboring beetles (Coleoptera: Curculionidae, Cerambycidae) in baited multiple-funnel traps in southeastern United States
- Kevin Chase, Lloyd Stringer, Ruth Butler, Andrew Liebhold, Daniel Miller, Peter Shearer, Eckehard G. Brockerhoff. 2018. Multiple-lure surveillance trapping for ips bark beetles, monochamus longhorn beetles, and halyomorpha halys (hemiptera: pentatomidae)
- D.R. Miller, C.M. Crowe, M.D. Ginzel, C.M. Ranger, P.B. Schultz. 2018. Comparison of baited bottle and multiple-funnel traps for ambrosia beetles (coleoptera: curculionidae: scolytinae) in eastern united states
- D.R. Miller, C.M. Crowe, M.D. Ginzel, C.M. Ranger, P.B. Schultz. 2018. Comparison of baited bottle and multiple-funnel traps for ambrosia beetles (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae) in Eastern United States 1
- Kevin J. Dodds, Jeremy D. Allison, Daniel R. Miller, Ryan P. Hanavan, Jon Sweeney. 2015. Considering species richness and rarity when selecting optimal survey traps: comparison of semiochecmial baited flight intercept traps for Cerambycidae in eastern North America
- Dan Miller, K.J. Dodds, E.R. Hoebeke, T.M. Poland, E.A. Willhite. 2015. Variation in effects of Conophthorin on catches of ambrosia beetles (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae) in ethanol-baited traps in the United States.
- Brittany F. Barnes, James R. Meeker, Wood Johnson, Christopher Asaro, Dan Miller, Kamal J.K. Gandhi. 2014. Trapping techniques for siricids and their parasitoids (Hymenoptera: siricidae and ibaliidae) in the Southeastern United States.
- Jeremy D. Allison, Jessica L. McKenney, Daniel R. Miller, Matthew L. Gimmel. 2013. Kairomonal responses of natural enemies and associates of the Southern Ips (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae) to Ipsdienol, Ipsenol and Cis-Verbenol
- Dan Miller, Kevin J. Dodds, Andy Eglitis, Chris Fettig, Richard W. Hofstetter, David W. Langor, Albert (Bud) III.Mayfield, A. Steven Munson, Therese M. Poland, Kenneth F. Raffa. 2013. Trap lure blend of pine volatiles and bark beetle pheromones for Monochamus spp. (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) in pine forests of Canada and the United States.
- B. Staffan Lingren, Daniel R. Miller, J.P. LaFontaine. 2012. MCOL, frontalin, and ethanol: A potential operational trap lure for Douglas-fir beetle in British Columbia
- Dan Miller, Chris Asaro, Christopher Crowe, Donald Duerr. 2011. Bark Beetle pheromones and pine volatiles: Attractant Kairomone Lure Blend for Longhorn Beetles (Cerambycidae) in pine stands of the southeastern United States.
- Daniel R. Miller, Christopher M. Crowe. 2011. Relative Performance of Lindgren Multiple-Funnel, Intercept Panel, and Colossus Pipe Traps in Catching Cerambycidae and Associated Species in the Southeastern United States
- Amanda D. Roe, Daniel R. Miller, Susan J. Weller. 2011. Complexity in Dioryctria zimmermani Species Group: Incongruence Between Species Limits and Molecular Diversity
- Li Li, Daniel R. Miller, Jianghua Sun. 2010. The influence of prior experience on preference and performance of a cryptoparasitoid Scleroderma guani (Hymenoptera: Bethylidae) on beetle hosts
- Daniel Miller, Jocelyn Millar, Gary Grant, Linda MacDonald, Gary DeBarr. 2010. (3Z,6Z,9Z,12Z,15Z)-Pentacosapentane and (9Z, 11E)-Tetradecadienyl Acetate: Attractant Lure Blend for Dioryctria ebeli (Lepidopterea: Pyralidae)
- Daniel Miller, Jocelyn Millar, Alex Mangini, Christopher Crowe, Gary Grant. 2010. (3Z,6Z,9Z,12Z,15Z)-Pentacosapentaene and (Z) -11-Hexadecenyl Acetate: sex attractant blend for Dioryctria amatella (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae).
- Jian-Ting Fan, Daniel Miller, Long-Wa Zhang, Jiang-Hua Sun. 2010. Effects of bark beetle pheromones on the attraction of Monochamus alternatus to pine volatiles
- Kevin Dodds, Daniel Miller. 2010. Test of nonhost angiosperm volatiles and verbenone to protect trap trees for Sirex noctilio (Hymenoptera: Siricidae) from attacks by bark beetles (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) in the Northeastern United States
- D. R. Miller, R. J. Rabaglia. 2009. Ethanol and (-)-a-pinene: attractants for bark and ambrosia beetles in southeastern USA.
- Kier D. Klepzig, Therese M. Poland, Nancy E. Gillette, Robert A. Haack, Melody A. Keena, Daniel R. Miller, Michael E. Montgomery, Steven J. Seybold, Patrick C. Tobin. 2009. Forest Service R&D — Invasive Insects: Visions for the Future
- Mariann T. Garrison-Johnston, Peter G. Mika, Dan L. Miller, Phil Cannon, Leonard R. Johnson. 2007. Ash cap influences on site productivity and fertilizer response in forests of the Inland Northwest
- Deborah Page-Dumroese, Richard Miller, Jim Mital, Paul McDaniel, Dan Miller. 2007. Volcanic-ash-derived forest soils of the inland Northwest: Properties and implications for management and restoration
- Min Lu, Daniel Miller, Jiang-Hua Sun. 2007. Cross-Attraction between an Exotic and a Native Pine Bark Beetle: A Novel Invasion Mechanism?.
- Lauren Fins, James Byler, Dennis Ferguson, Al Harvey, Mary Francis Mahalovich, Geral I. McDonald, Dan Miller, John Schwandt, Art Zack. 2001. Return of the giants: Restoring white pine ecosystems by breeding and aggressive planting of blister rust-resistant white pines
- Dan Miller, Lorraine Maclauchlan. 1998. Asessment of Forest Insect Conditions at Opax Mountain Silviculture Trail
- Dan Miller, Lorraine Maclauchlan. 1998. Assessment of Forest Insect Conditions at Opax Mountain Silviculture Trail
- John H. Borde, D.R. Delvin, Dan R. Miller. 1991. Synomones of two sympatric species deter attack by the pine engraver, Ips pini (Coleoptera: Scolytidae)