Portland, OR 97205-3028
Our team seeks to expand our client base and distribute inventory information to build relevance, user capacity, and partnerships. IRAM actively provides feedback, guidance, and design criteria to the local and national FIA program via analysis and interactions with other research groups, land managers, and agency leadership. We work closely with clients and stakeholders to summarize and interpret FIA data in relation to their specific areas of interest.
I am also the PNW lead for the FIA Analyst Band, which works to identify current and emerging resource information needs, developing analytical solutions, new policies, procedures, guidance, or directives, and national program direction related to monitoring and climate change science. Our team is responsible for conducting public relations activities, briefing materials, public outreach, and hosting workshops.
- Forest health indicators
- Inventory and monitoring techniques and analysis
- Urban forest inventory
- Science delivery
- Portland State University, Ph.D. Biology, The fire ecology of ponderosa pine (Pinus ponderosa) stands infected with western dwarf mistletoe (Arceuthobium campylopodum)., 2007
- Portland State University, M.S. Biology, The effects of western dwarf mistletoe on recent radial growth of managed ponderosa pine in eastern Oregon.”, 2002
- University of Texas at Austin, B.S., Botany, 1999
Lead FIA Analyst,
USDA Forest Service - PNW Research Station,
Leading the team of FIA state analysts in the Pacific Northwest unit, which includes Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, and six US-affiliated Pacific Islands.
FIA Analyst - Natural Resource Specialist,
USDA Forest Service - PNW Research Station ,
Inventory data analysis, project management, report writing, revisions to manuals and documentation, and maintaining relationships with external stakeholders, especially in Oregon and Washington. I applied technical and analytical skills to develop resource reports at the state and regional scales, summarize complex data sets for reports, briefing papers, and presentations. I also led and participated in national cross-functional task teams to improve inventory and monitoring techniques,and applications and reporting tools.
Adjunct Faculty - Biogeography,
Portland State University,
- FIA Director's Award, 2018
- PNW Station Director's Award for Science Communication and Delivery, 2017
- Lazaro, Michelle ; Kuegler, Olaf ; Stanton, Sharon ; Lehman, Ashley ; Mafnas, Joseph ; Yatskov, Mikhail. 2020. Guam s forest resources: Forest Inventory and Analysis, 2013
- Lazaro, Michelle K.; Kuegler, Olaf ; Stanton, Sharon M.; Lehman, Ashley D.; Taufete’e, Mary L.; Yatskov, Mikhail A.. 2019. American Samoa s forest resources: Forest inventory and analysis, 2012
- Marcano-Vega, Humfredo ; Lazaro, Michelle ; Stanton, Sharon. 2019. U.S.-Affiliated jurisdictions of the insular Caribbean and Pacific
- Holgerson, Justin; Stanton, Sharon; Waddell, Karen; Palmer, Marin; Kuegler, Olaf; Christensen, Glenn. 2018. Washington s forest resources: Forest Inventory and Analysis, 2002 2011
- Bansal, Sheel; Brodie, Leslie; Stanton, Sharon; Waddell, Karen; Palmer, Marin; Christensen, Glenn; Kuegler, Olaf; Chase, John; Thompson, Joel; Jovan, Sarah; Gray, Andrew; Todd, Morgan. 2017. Oregon s forest resources, 2001 2010: ten-year Forest Inventory and Analysis report
- Nowak, David J.; Bodine, Allison R.; Hoehn, Robert E.; Edgar, Christopher B.; Riley, Gretchen; Hartel, Dudley R.; Dooley, Kerry J.; Stanton, Sharon M.; Hatfield, Mark A.; Brandeis, Thomas J.; Lister, Tonya W.. 2017. Houston s Urban Forest, 2015
- Christensen, Glenn A.; Waddell, Karen L.; Stanton, Sharon M.; Kuegler, Olaf. 2016. California's forest resources: Forest Inventory and Analysis, 2001 2010
- Stanton, Sharon M.; Monleon, Vicente J.; Lintz, Heather E.; Thompson, Joel. 2015. Telling the story of tree species range shifts in a complex landscape
- Deal, Robert L; Stanton, Sharon; Betts, Matthew; Yang, Zhiqiang. 2015. Early-seral stand age and forest structural changes in public and private forestlands in Western Oregon and Washington
- Stanton, Sharon M.; Christensen, Glenn A.. 2016. Pushing boundaries: new directions in inventory techniques and applications: Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) symposium 2015