Climate change is affecting forests across the South and throughout the globe. The Southern Research Station is documenting these impacts and developing adaptation and mitigation strategies for land managers. Through continuous and collaborative research, our work ensures land managers have the tools to manage healthy, resilient, diverse, and productive forests.
Climate Change Resources
- Climate Change Resource Center
The Climate Change Resource Center (CCRC) is a web-based, national platform that connects land managers and decision makers with useable science to address climate change in natural resources planning and management. Current and expected climate changes have serious implications for ecosystems and the benefits they provide.
- USDA Southeast Climate Hub
The Climate Hubs are a source for practical, proactive thinking about climate change. Forest Service R&D scientists serve as leads, partners, and collaborators within these Hubs to assess regional forests and rangelands across all ownership types. RPA identifies drivers of change and projects the conditions of these renewable resources 50 years into the future, in part based on FIA data.
- Climate Tools and Data - Gallery
A gallery of maps, tools, and resources supporting sustainability and climate.
- James S. Latimer, David D. Bosch, John Faustini, Charles R. Lane, Carl C. Trettin. 2022. Enhancing landscapes for sustainable intensification and watershed resiliency—Proceedings of the Seventh Interagency Conference on Research in the Watersheds
- Shubhi Sharma, Robert Andrus, Yves Bergeron, Michal Bogdziewicz, Don C. Bragg, Dale Brockway, Natalie L. Cleavitt, Benoit Courbaud, Adrian J. Das, Michael Dietze, Timothy J. Fahey, Jerry F. Franklin, Gregory S. Gilbert, Cathryn H. Greenberg, Qinfeng Guo, Janneke Hille Ris Lambers, Ines Ibanez, Jill F. Johnstone, Christopher L. Kilner, Johannes M. H. Knops, Walter D. Koenig, Georges Kunstler, Jalene M. LaMontagne, Diana Macias, Emily Moran, Jonathan A. Myers, Robert Parmenter, Ian S. Pearse, Renata Poulton-Kamakura, Miranda D. Redmond, Chantal D. Reid, Kyle C. Rodman, C. Lane Scher, William H. Schlesinger, Michael A. Steele, Nathan L. Stephenson, Jennifer J. Swenson, Margaret Swift, Thomas T. Veblen, Amy V Whipple, Thomas G. Whitham, Andreas P. Wion, Christopher W. Woodall, Roman Zlotin, James S. Clark. 2022. North American tree migration paced by climate in the West, lagging in the East
- Steven McNulty, Michael Gavazzi. 2021. Hurricane preparation and recovery in the Southeastern United States
Story Map: Preparing for and recovering from hurricane impacts
Story Map: Climate by Forest
Saltwater Intrusion and Salinization on Coastal Forests and Farms