In 2004, a harvest and utilization study was conducted on 96 operations throughout Georgia. There were 2,368 total trees measured, 1,581 or 67 percent were softwood, while 787 or 33 percent were hardwood. Results from this study showed that 86 percent of the total softwood volume measured was utilized for a product, while the other 14 percent was left as logging residue. Seventy-four percent of the total hardwood volume measured was utilized for a product, while 26 percent was left as logging residue.
Bentley, James W.; Harper, Richard A. 2007. Georgia harvest and utilization study, 2004. Resour. Bull. SRS-117. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 25 p.