Assessment of nontimber forest products in the United States under changing conditions
|Authors:||James L. Chamberlain, Marla R. Emery, Toral Patel-Weynand|
|Type:||General Technical Report|
|Station:||Southern Research Station|
|Source:||General Technical Report SRS-232, US Forest Service, Southern Research Station|
AbstractNontimber forest products (NTFPs) are fundamental to the functioning of healthy forests and play vital roles in the cultures and economies of the people of the United States. However, these plants and fungi used for food, medicine, and other purposes have not been fully incorporated into management, policy, and resource valuation. This report is a forest-sectorwide assessment of the state of the knowledge regarding NTFPs science and management information for U.S. forests and rangelands (and hereafter referred to as the NTFP assessment). The NTFP assessment serves as a baseline science synthesis and provides information for managing nontimber forest resources in the United States. In addition, this NTFP assessment provides information for national-level reporting on natural capital and the ecosystem services NTFPs provide. The report also provides technical input to the 2017 National Climate Assessment (NCA) under development by the U.S. Global Change Research Program (USGCRP).
Sound Research audio clip of this publication is available.
Titles contained within Assessment of nontimber forest products in the United States under changing conditions
- Chapter 1 Introduction to assessment of non-timber forest products in the United States under changing conditions
- --- Chapter 2 - Nontimber forest products and production.
- Chapter 3 - Ecological dimensions of nontimber forest product harvest
- Chapter 4 - Cultural dimensions of nontimber products
- Social dimensions of nontimber forest products
- Economics of nontimber forest products.
- Chapter 7 - Policies and regulations concerning non-timber forest products
- Chapter 8: Conclusions: Nontimber forest products in an era of changing climate
- Chapter 9 - Appendix -Regional Summaries