The Hiawatha National Forest manages for a variety of resource values. Read on for more information about some of the resource work in which we are currently engaged.
- Recreation, Wilderness & Heritage Management
- Ecosystem Management
- Fire Management
For more information on these activities, check out the features below.
Timber Sale Contracting
- Basic Information
- Timber Sale Contracting Contacts
- Stewardship Contracting Contacts
- Scheduled Timber Sale Program
- Timber Sale Contract Forms
- Addresses for timber sale payments
Timber Sale Contracting Contacts
The Forest's top priority is to maintain and improve the health, diversity, and productivity of forest ecosystems for the enjoyment of current and future generations. Forest management includes guidance, administration, and support of the agency's forest products management and sales programs.
- West Zone
- Kate Johnson (906)-474-6442 ext. 2137
- East Zone
- Eric Raikko (906)-643-7900 ext. 8116
Stewardship Contracting Contacts
Stewardship contracting allows the Forest Service to work with contractors to accomplish a variety of on-the-ground projects. Potential work may include general construction, timber stand improvements, road and trail work, wildlife habitat enhancement, reforestation activities, fuels treatments, and non-native invasive plant control.
- For more information, or to submit a vendor information request (see form section below), please contact Travis Coughlin (firstname.lastname@example.org), Hiawatha National Forest Stewardship Coordinator, Hiawatha National Forest Supervisor's Office, 820 Rains Drive, Gladstone, MI 49837. You may also visit the US Forest Service stewardship contracting website.
- Periodic Timber Sale Announcement April 1, 2022 to September 30, 2022 - (pdf)
- Instructions on Wiring Funds - Fedwire (pdf )
- Pay.gov Instructions (pdf)
- SAM Quick Guide (pdf)
- FS-6500-129 Transfer or Refund of Timber Sale Deposits (pdf)
- 2400-1 Request For Advance Deposit 6T Contracts (pdf )
- 2400-2 Request for Transfer of Blanket Payment Guarantee (pdf )
- PU Release Request Form (pdf )
- FS-6500-12 Timber Sale Payment Bond (pdf)
- FS-6500-12a Timber Sale Blanket Payment Bond (pdf)
- FS-6500-13 Timber Sale Bid Bond (pdf)
- Fire Plan
- General Operating Plan (pdf)
- Annual Operating Plan
- USDA Forest Service Region 9 Tree Species Codes (pdf)
- Internet Payment at www.fs.fed.us/billpay
- Regular Mail - Timber Sale bills
USDA Forest Service
C/O US Bank
PO Box 6200-09
Portland, OR 97228-6200
Enclose a copy of the bill with your check or money order. Do not send cash. Please include Bill Number and Payer Code Number on your check. Make your check payable to USDA Forest Service.
- Overnight couriers:
US Bank Government Lockbox
Attn: USDA Forest Service 6200-09
17650 NE Sandy Blvd
Portland, OR 97230
Timber sales now have a Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed. When you subscribe to the feed it will email you every time a new timber sale or stewardship sale is added, with a link to the sale. Most email services are RSS Feed Readers, you will need to find the specific instructions for your email service (ex.: gmail, yahoo, outlook) on how to add the feed to your email.
- Right click on the RSS icon or button.
- Select Copy Link Location to copy the URL of the feed.
- Go to your RSS Feed Reader.
- Paste the URL into your Feed reader.
Read about our 2016 Wings Across The Americas Award and other success stories that highlight our work on the Hiawatha!
The Forest Service uses the best available science and technology to proactively manage the landscape to foster long-term health and resilience of America's forests and grasslands. On the Hiawatha, we strive to help create strong fire-adapted ecological communities that are prepard for and adapted to living with fire. Fires do not recognize jurisdictional boundaries or property lines, so we coordinate closely with partners and landowners in both mitigating wildfire risk and fighting fire. Together with partners, we conduct planned prescribed fires that reduce hazardous fuels while minimizing smoke impacts.
The Brookie Stewardship Timber Sale is located approximately 1 mile west of Strongs, MI within T4N R5W sec. 31 and T46N R6W sec. 28, 29, 32, 33, 35, and 36. The Forest Service will receive Sealed bids at the St. Ignace Ranger District, W1900 West US-2, St. Ignace, MI 49781 before or at the time of public bid opening at 10:00 AM local time on 06/28/2022.
The Candy Apple Stewardship Timber Sale is generally located 8 miles north of Raco, MI. Specifically, T47N R3W sections 21, 28, 29, 31, and 32. The Forest Service will receive Sealed bids at the St. Ignace Ranger District, W1900 West US-2, St. Ignace, MI 49781 before or at the time of public bid opening at 10:00 AM local time on 08/09/2022.