The first forest research area established by the Forest Service was in 1908the Fort Valley Experimental Forest near Flagstaff, Arizona. In 1909, the Fremont Experiment Station near Colorado Springs was begun, as well as the Wagon Wheel Gap watershed experiment in the central Rockies. The Santa Rita Range Reserve, begun in 1903, was transferred to the Forest Service in 1915. Two forest and range experiment stations were officially designated Southwestern Station, in 1930, at Tucson, Arizona, and Rocky Mountain Station, in 1935, at Fort Collins, Colorado. The two Stations were combined in 1953, with central headquarters at Fort Collins, to serve a 10-State territory.