Skip to Main Content
Computer program for calculating and plotting fire direction and rate of spread.Author(s): James E. Eenigenburg
Source: General Technical Report NC-117. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
Download Publication (13.43 MB)
DescriptionPresents an analytical procedure that uses a FORTRAN 77 program to estimate fire direction and rate of spread. The program also calculates the variability of these parameters, both for subsections of the fire and for the fires as a whole. An option in the program allows users with a CALCOMP plotter to obtain a map of the fire with spread vectors.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationEenigenburg, James E. 1987. Computer program for calculating and plotting fire direction and rate of spread. General Technical Report NC-117. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station
KeywordsFORTRAN program, CALCOMP plotter, vector, prescribed burn, wildland fire
- Prediction of fire spread following nuclear explosions
- User's guide to calculating rate of fire spread by hand-held calculator.
- A fundamental look at fire spread in California chaparral
XML: View XML