Skip to Main Content
A Forested Tract-Size Profile of Virginia's NIPF Landowners.Author(s): Michael T Thompson; Tony G. Johnson
Source: Res. Pap. SRS-1.Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 10 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Southern Research Station
View PDF (980 KB)
DescriptionInformation gathered from 3,221 permanent Forest Survey sample plots showed that nearly 1.3 million acres, or 11 percent, of the nonindustrial private forest (NIPF) timberland in Virginia is in forested tracts 10 acres or less. Forested tracts ranging from 11 to 100 acres accounted for the largest proportion of NIPF timberland. Forested tract size varied significantly by NIPF-ownership group and broad management class. By NIPF-ownership group, the other corporate group recorded the highest average forested tract size of 684 acres. By management class, natural pine stands recorded the lowest average forested tract size of 128 acres. Volume and net annual growth of growing stock were stable across all forested tract-size categories. Softwood growing-stock removals were stable across all forested tract-size categories, whereas hardwood growing-stock removals increased successively up to the largest tract-size category.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationThompson, Michael T; Johnson, Tony G. 1996. A Forested Tract-Size Profile of Virginia''s NIPF Landowners. Res. Pap. SRS-1.Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 10 p.
KeywordsTimberland, forest ownership, forested tract size, timber volume, timber growth, timber removals.
- A Forested Tract-Size Profile of South Carolina's NIPF Landowners
- A Forested Tract-Size Profile of Florida's NIPF Landowners
- Virginia's Forests
XML: View XML