Skip to Main Content
Research and management in a young northern red oak seedling seed orchardAuthor(s): S.E. Schlarbaum; J.L. McConnell; L.R. Barber; R.A. Cox; J.F. Grant; Paul P. Kormanik; T. La Farge; P.L. Lambdin; S.W. Oak; C.K. Proffitt; J.R. Rhea; T. Tibbs
Source: Pages 52-58 in Proc. 22nd Southern Forest Tree Improvement Conf., Atlanta, GA.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (108 KB)
DescriptionA northern red oak progeny test was thinned at age 15 to produce a seedling seed orchard. Studies were initiated to determine relationships between acorn production and seed source. Acorn production was observed in 1984-1986 and 1989-1992.Family differences were observed in reproductive maturity. Large differences in size of acorns from the same tree were observed. Many acorns appeared to be extensively damaged by insects. A progressive loss of flowers, acornets and acorns was observed on different genotypes from 1989-1991 as the acorns matured.Oak anthracnose disease has been intermittently damaging in the orchard when environmental conditions are favorable for infection. Two different fungi, alone and in combination, have been consistently isolated and confirmed pathogenic. Insect populations were sampled in 1992.Population levels of different species fluctuated throughout the growing season.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSchlarbaum, S.E.; McConnell, J.L.; Barber, L.R.; Cox, R.A.; Grant, J.F.; Kormanik, Paul P.; La Farge, T.; Lambdin, P.L.; Oak, S.W.; Proffitt, C.K.; Rhea, J.R.; Tibbs, T. 1994. Research and management in a young northern red oak seedling seed orchard. Pages 52-58 in Proc. 22nd Southern Forest Tree Improvement Conf., Atlanta, GA.
- Acorn fall and weeviling in a northern red oak seedling orchard
- Spatial and Temporal Distribution of Weeviled Acorns within a Northern Red oak Seedling Orchard
- Insects that damage northern red oak acorns
XML: View XML