Skip to Main Content
A Multivariate Model and Analysis of Competitive Strategy in the U.S. Hardwood Lumber IndustryAuthor(s): Robert J. Bush; Steven A. Sinclair
Source: Forest Science. 37(2): 481-498.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (179 KB)
DescriptionBusiness-level competitive strategy in the hardwood lumber industry was modeled through the identification of strategic groups among large U.S. hardwood lumber producers. Strategy was operationalized using a measure based on the variables developed by Dess and Davis (1984). Factor and cluster analyses were used to define strategic groups along the dimensions of cost leadership, focus, and differentiation. A five strategic group model was identified and examined for strategic orientation and intragroup homogeneity. Two groups had no distinctive strategic orientation that suggested a competitive advantage; one group exhibited an overall cost leadership strategy; one exhibited a differentiation strategy; and one group exhibited a dual overall cost leadership/differentiation strategy. Strategic change in the industry was predicted to be primarily toward increased differentiation. Three strategic groups indicated significant change in this direction, and one group indicated an increase along both the focus and differentiation dimensions.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBush, Robert J.; Sinclair, Steven A. 1991. A Multivariate Model and Analysis of Competitive Strategy in the U.S. Hardwood Lumber Industry. Forest Science. 37(2): 481-498.
- A Qualitative Investigation of Competition in the U.S. Hardwood Lumber Industry
- Assessing changes in the U.S. hardwood sawmill industry with a focus on markets and distribution
- Product costing guide for wood dimension and component manufacturers
XML: View XML