Skip to Main Content
Estimating investment returns from growing red pine.Author(s): Allen L. Lundgren
Source: Research Paper NC-2. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (20.02 MB)
DescriptionThis paper describes how to estimate present values of incomes and costs in growing red pine trees for sale as cordwood or sawtimber, and how to calculate expectation values and rates of return for a wide range of timber-growing conditions, using the tables of expectation value indexes and interest rate multipliers provided. It illustrates how to compare investment opportunities in growing red pine, how to determine the amount one can afford to invest to buy land, establish and maintain a stand, or pay in annual taxes or other expenses, and how to estimate the cost of producing stumpage under specified conditions. In addition, those who want only an approximation of investment returns from growing red pine will find examples for several levels of income costs on poor (site index 45) and good (sit index 60) sites.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLundgren, Allen L. 1966. Estimating investment returns from growing red pine. Research Paper NC-2. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station
Keywordsred pine, investment returns
- A new look at red pine financial returns in the Lake States.
- Economics of Red Pine Management for Utility Pole Timber
- Estimating red pine site index in northern Minnesota.
XML: View XML