Skip to Main Content
Preliminary results on the genetic structure of Heterobasidion annosum white fir (Abies concolor) root decay centersAuthor(s): M. Garbelotto; F. Cobb; T. Bruns; W. Otrosina; Garey Slaughter; T. Popenuck
Source: Pages 227-232 in Proc. 8th International Conf. on Root and Butt Rots, Wik, Sweden and Haikko, Finland.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (129 KB)
DescriptionIt is known that Heterobasidion annosum is a complex species comprised of at least three biological species, more precisely defined as intersterility groups (ISGs). The S ISG is widely diffused in North America, Europe, and probably Asia. Although with regional variations, S ISG isolates are commonly found associated with Picea spp., Abies spp., Tsuga spp., Pseudotsuga and Sequoiadendron.Our study focuses on the S ISG-white fir (Abies concolor) association in the two main mountain ranges of the Western Pacific United States; the Cascades and the Sierra Nevada.Our study has the following objectives: (1) determine the genetic structure of the H. annosum ISG S in true fir by clonal analysis and mating allele distribution; (2) screen isolates for virulence through a combination of greenhouse and field inoculation studies; (3) determine whether adjacent clones are related through di-mon mating events; and (4) develop fingerprinting techniques to facilitate the identification of clones, to characterize the genotypic comosition of heterokaryons, and to provede a bank of genetic markers for future genetic studies.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGarbelotto, M.; Cobb, F.; Bruns, T.; Otrosina, W.; Slaughter, Garey; Popenuck, T. 1994. Preliminary results on the genetic structure of Heterobasidion annosum white fir (Abies concolor) root decay centers. Pages 227-232 in Proc. 8th International Conf. on Root and Butt Rots, Wik, Sweden and Haikko, Finland.
- The distribution of genets and their nuclear composition reveal the dynamics of establishment and survival of Heterobasidion annosum in white fir stands
- Response of thinned White fir stands to fertilization with nitrogen plus sulphur.
- Seed maturity in white fir and red fir
XML: View XML