Skip to Main Content
Impact of insects on multiple-use values of north-central forests: an experimental rating scheme.Author(s): Norton D. Addy; Harold O. Batzer; William J. Mattson; William E. Miller
Source: Research Paper NC-57. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.35 MB)
DescriptionRanking or assigning priorities to problems is an essential step in research problem selection. Up to now, no rigorous basis for ranking forest insects has been available. We evaluate and rank forest insects with a systematic numerical scheme that considers insect impact on the multiple-use values of timber, wildlife, recreation, and water. The result is a better perspective on insects as important elements of forest ecosystems.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAddy, Norton D.; Batzer, Harold O.; Mattson, William J.; Miller, William E. 1971. Impact of insects on multiple-use values of north-central forests: an experimental rating scheme. Research Paper NC-57. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station
Keywordsforest insect research, impact of forest insects, forest ecosystem, Malacosoma disstria
- Effects of elevated carbon dioxide and ozone on the phytochemistry of aspen and performance of an herbivore
- Nuclear polyhedrosis virus as a biological control agent for Malacosoma americanum (Lepidoptera: Lasiocampidae)
- Foliar quality influences tree-herbivore-parasitoid interactions: effects of elevated CO2, O3, and plant genotype
XML: View XML