Skip to Main Content
Comparing jack pine slash and forest floor moisture contents and National Fire Danger Rating System predictions.Author(s): Robert M. Loomis; William A. Main
Source: Research Paper NC-189. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.06 MB)
DescriptionRelations between certain slash and forest floor moisture contents and the applicable estimated time lag fuel moistures of the National Fire Danger Rating System were investigated for 1-year-old jack pine fuel types in northeastern Minnesota and central Lower Michigan. Only approximate estimates of actual fuel moisture are possible fore the relations determined, thus emphasizing the need for on-site measurements when fuel moisture may be critical.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLoomis, Robert M.; Main, William A. 1980. Comparing jack pine slash and forest floor moisture contents and National Fire Danger Rating System predictions. Research Paper NC-189. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station
Keywordsforest fuels, fire hazard
- Seasonal variations in red pine (Pinus resinosa) and jack pine (Pinus banksiana) foliar physio-chemistry and their potential influence on stand-scale wildland fire behavior
- Forest floor fuels in red and jack pine stands
- Geographic variation of jack pine (Pinus banksiana Lamb.)
XML: View XML