Skip to Main Content
Forest Resources of the United States, 1997Author(s): W. Brad Smith; John S. Vissage; David R. Darr; Raymond M. Sheffield
Source: General Technical Report NC-219. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
View PDF (1.17 MB)
DescriptionForest resource statistics from the 1987 Resources Planning Act (RPA) Assessment were updated to 1997 to provide current information on the Nation`s forests. Resource tables present estimates of forest area, volume, mortality, growth, removals, and timber products output in various ways, such as by ownership, region, or State. Current resource data are analyzed and trends since 1987 are noted. Resource trends are placed within the context of changes in the timber resources since 1953. A fold-out forest type map produced from satellite imagery provides a visual display of the location of forest land.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSmith, W. Brad; Vissage, John S.; Darr, David R.; Sheffield, Raymond M. 2001. Forest Resources of the United States, 1997. General Technical Report NC-219. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station
KeywordsRPA, assessment, inventory, forest statistics, area, volume, forest history, AVHRR, map.
- Forest resources of the United States, 1992
Removals, timber products, and residues
- Forest Resources of the United States, 2007
XML: View XML