Skip to Main Content
A Forested Tract-Size Profile of South Carolina's NIPF LandownersAuthor(s): Michael T. Thompson
Source: Res. Pap. SRS-2.Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 11 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Southern Research Station
View PDF (1.1 MB)
DescriptionInformation gathered from 3,078 permanent forest survey sample plots showed that nearly 0.9 million acres, or 10 percent of the nonindustrial private forest (NIPF) timberland in South Carolina is in forested tracts 10 acres or less. Forested tracts ranging from 1 1 to 100 acres accounted for the largest proportion of NIPF timberland. Forested tract size varied significantly by NIPF-ownership group. By NIPF-ownership group, the other corporate group recorded the highest average forested tract size of 3,802 acres. Volume of softwood growing stock was significantly higher in the larger tract-size categories. Hardwood growing-stock volume per acre was significantly higher in the largest and smallest forested tract-size classes. Softwood growing-stock removals exceeded growth across all forested-parcel categories, whereas hardwood growing-stock growth surpassed hardwood removals in two tract-size classes.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationThompson, Michael T. 1997. A Forested Tract-Size Profile of South Carolina''s NIPF Landowners. Res. Pap. SRS-2.Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 11 p.
KeywordsForest ownership, forested tract size, timber growth, timber removals, timber volume, timberland.
- A Forested Tract-Size Profile of Virginia's NIPF Landowners.
- A Forested Tract-Size Profile of Florida's NIPF Landowners
- Florida's forests, 1995
XML: View XML