Skip to Main Content
The impact of Pulpwood Rail Freight Costs on the Minnesota-Wisconsin Pulpwood MarketAuthor(s): David C. Lothner
Source: Research Note NC-215. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (811.7 KB)
DescriptionTransportation costs affect the marketing and utilization of pulpwood. Their impact on the procurement and utilization of pulpwood often prove difficult to measure because deriving an average annual measure of the transportation cost is difficult. This note, by means of a simple index method for measuring regional interstate pulpwood rail freight costs, illustrates that the cost for shipping pulpwood from Minnesota to Wisconsin by rail more than doubled between 1946 and 1958. In 1959 rates declined slightly and remained stable before escalating in the late 1960''s and early 1970''s to more than three time the 1946 rate. Rail rates were estimated to have a significant impact on shipments of pulpwood from Minnesota to Wisconsin mills, and Wisconsin mill utilization of both softwood and hardwood pulpwood.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLothner, David C. 1976. The impact of Pulpwood Rail Freight Costs on the Minnesota-Wisconsin Pulpwood Market. Research Note NC-215. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station
Keywordspulpwood marketing, pulpwood freight rate index
- Lake States Pulpwood Production Drops Seven Percent, 1967
- Lake States Pulpwood Production Plummets 413,000 Cords, 1968
- Midsouth Pulpwood Prices, 1983
XML: View XML