Skip to Main Content
Developing a classical biological control program for Agrilus planipennis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae), an invasive ash pest in North AmericaAuthor(s): Leah S. Bauer; Houping Liu; Deborah Miller; Juli Gould
Source: Newsletter of the Michigan Entomological Society. 53(3&4): 38-39.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (41.23 KB)
DescriptionThe emerald ash borer (EAB), Agrilus planipennis, a buprestid beetle native to northeast Asia, was determined as the cause of ash tree (Fraxinus spp.) mortality in areas of southern Michigan and Ontario in 2002. Infestations have since been found in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Missouri, and Quebec. Regulatory agencies recently shifted their policy from eradication to management for this pest in North America. Classical biological control with three EAB natural enemies from China is being evaluated for use in the sustained control of EAB in the U.S.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBauer, Leah S.; Liu, Houping; Miller, Deborah; Gould, Juli. 2008. Developing a classical biological control program for Agrilus planipennis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae), an invasive ash pest in North America. Newsletter of the Michigan Entomological Society. 53(3&4): 38-39.
- Progress on biological control of emerald ash borer
- Laboratory bioassay of emerald ash borer adults with a Bacillus thuringiensis formulation sprayed on ash leaves
- Emerald ash borer biological control release and recovery guidelines
XML: View XML