Skip to Main Content
A Red Oak Data Bank for Computer Simulations of Secondary ProcessingAuthor(s): Charles J. Gatchell; Janice K. Wiedenbeck; Elizabeth S. Walker
Source: Forest Products Journal. 43(6): 38-42.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (0 B)
DescriptionAn extensive data bank for red oak lumber that is compatible with most secondary manufacturing computer simulator tools is now available. Currently, the data bank contains 10,718 board feet in 1,578 boards. The National Hardwood Lumber Associations (NHLA) Special Kiln Dried Rule was used to grade the boards. The percentage of a boardâs surface measure contained in clear-face cuttings of required sizes can vary considerably depending on whether the board is graded by a computer or a person. Both computer-generated minimum percentages and human-generated optimum clear-face percentages are included in the data bank. The availability of this data bank should provide users confidence that differences between their findings and those of others are attributable to differences in the processes being simulated; the use of this data bank should minimize interstudy sample bias.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGatchell, Charles J.; Wiedenbeck, Janice K.; Walker, Elizabeth S. 1993. A Red Oak Data Bank for Computer Simulations of Secondary Processing. Forest Products Journal. 43(6): 38-42.
- Quality Characteristics of Appalachian Red Oak Lumber
- 1998 data bank for kiln-dried red oak lumber
- A comprehensive defect data bank for no. 2 common oak lumber
XML: View XML