Skip to Main Content
Effect of urbanization on the thermal structure in the atmosphereAuthor(s): R. Viskanta; R. O. Johnson; R. W., Jr. Bergstrom
Source: In: Heisler, Gordon M.; Herrington, Lee P., eds. Proceedings of the conference on metropolitan physical environment; Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-25. Upper Darby, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 62-76
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (589.09 KB)
DescriptionAn unsteady two-dimensional transport model was used to study the short-term effects of urbanization and air pollution on the thermal structure in the urban atmosphere. A number of simulations for summer conditions representing the city of St. Louis were performed. The diurnal variation of the surface temperature and thermal structure are presented and the influences of various parameters are discussed.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationViskanta, R.; Johnson, R. O.; Bergstrom, R. W., Jr. 1977. Effect of urbanization on the thermal structure in the atmosphere. In: Heisler, Gordon M.; Herrington, Lee P., eds. Proceedings of the conference on metropolitan physical environment; Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-25. Upper Darby, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 62-76
- Environmental perceptions of residents of a multifunctional building
- Design of outdoor urban spaces for thermal comfort
- Laboratory investigation of fire transfer from exterior wood decks to buildings in the wildland-urban interface
XML: View XML