Skip to Main Content
Physiography, geology, and soil classificationAuthor(s): Ralph E. J. Boerner; Elaine Kennedy Sutherland
Source: In: Sutherland, Elaine K.; Hutchinson, Todd F., eds. Characteristics of mixed oak forest ecosystems in southern Ohio prior to the reintroduction of fire. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-299. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 43-45
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (54.01 KB)
DescriptionThe four study areas, located within the Unglaciated Allegheny Plateau of southern Ohio, are underlain predominantly by sandstones and shales of Pennsylvanian Age. The bedrock underlying the Arch Rock (AR), Watch Rock (WR), and Young's Branch (YB) study areas also contain economically important coal strata, while those of the Bluegrass Ridge (BR) study area have significant interbedded limestone layers. The soils include inceptisols, alfisols, and ultisols, and are predominantly loams and silt loams formed in residuum and colluvium. The soils of AR and WR are dominated by the Steinsburg-Gilpin Association, those at YB by soils of the Steinsburg-Shelocta Association, and those at BR by the Upshur-Gilpin-Steinsburg Association.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBoerner, Ralph E. J.; Sutherland, Elaine Kennedy. 2003. Physiography, geology, and soil classification. In: Sutherland, Elaine K.; Hutchinson, Todd F., eds. Characteristics of mixed oak forest ecosystems in southern Ohio prior to the reintroduction of fire. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-299. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 43-45
- Soil and forest floor characteristics
- Annual Soil Temperature Wave at Four Depths in Southwestern Wisconsin
- A GIS-derived integrated moisture index
XML: View XML