Skip to Main Content
Laboratory evaluation of plant-derived antifeedants against the pine weevil Hylobius abietis (Coleoptera: Curculionidae)Author(s): Kier D. Klepzig; Fredrik Schlyter
Source: Forest Entomology. 92(3): 644-650.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (409 KB)
DescriptionThe authors assayed 12 plant-derived and 1 insect-produced allelochemicals-verbenone, borneol, bornyl acetate, carvone, cucurbitacin, myrcene, limonin, 4-allyanisole, a- pinene, ß-pinene, limonene, and coumarin-for inhibition of feeding by the pine weevil Hylobius abietis L. Scots pine twigs were treated with these compounds dissolved in ethyl acetate solvent, and adult weevils were fed for 48 h on the twigs in both choice and no-choice assays. Coumarin, carvone, verbenone, and limonin were consistently inhibitory to feeding by both male and female H. abietis. Borneol and 4-allyanisole also demonstrated some activity as an antifeedant compound against H. abietis. The remainder of the compounds did not consistently inhibit weevil feeding. Sex of weevils or temperature in cold storage (10 or 5°C) did not consistently affect amount of bark feeding. A 48-h feeding period gave more distinct effects for active compounds than did a 24-h test.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKlepzig, Kier D.; Schlyter, Fredrik. 1999. Laboratory evaluation of plant-derived antifeedants against the pine weevil Hylobius abietis (Coleoptera: Curculionidae). Forest Entomology. 92(3): 644-650.
- Responses of Conophthorus spp. (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) to behavioral chemicals in field trials: a transcontinental perspective
- Repellent properties of the host compound 4-allylanisole to the southern pine beetle
- The response of Dendroctonus valens (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) and Temnochila chlorodia (Coleoptera: Trogossitidae) to Ips paraconfusus (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) pheromone components and verbenone
XML: View XML