Skip to Main Content
Assessing tree and stand biomass: a review with examples and critical comparisonsAuthor(s): Bernard R. Parresol
Source: Forest Science. 45(4): 573-593.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionThere is considerable interest today in estimating the biomass of trees and forests for both practical forestry issues and scientific purposes. New techniques and procedures are brought together along with the more traditional approaches to estimating woody biomass. General model forms and weighted analysis are reviewed, along with statistics for evaluating and comparing biomass models. Additivity and harmonization are addressed, and weight-ratio and density-integral approaches are discussed. Subsampling methods on trees to derive unbiased weight estimates are examined, and ratio and difference sampling estimators are considered in detail. Error components for stand biomass estimates are examined. This paper reviews quantitative principles and gives specific examples for prediction of tree biomass. The examples should prove useful for understanding the principles involved and for instructional purposes.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationParresol, Bernard R. 1999. Assessing tree and stand biomass: a review with examples and critical comparisons. Forest Science. 45(4): 573-593.
- Ratio equations for loblolly pine trees
- Optimization of composite wood structural components : processing and design choices
- When relationships estimated in the past cannot be used to predict the future: using mechanistic models to predict landscape ecological dynamics in a changing world
XML: View XML