Skip to Main Content
Focus on...The right tools: Managing for fire using FIA inventory data.Author(s): USDA Forest Service
Source: Collection of articles from Journal of Forestry. 101(2):6 p.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (514.36 KB)
DescriptionThe relative severity of recent fire seasons has led to numerous debates about the health, associated fire hazards, and effectiveness of fuel reduction treatments in forests across the United States. Scientific analyses of forest inventories offer policy makers and other interested parties objective information with which to make crucial forest management decisions.
The Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program of the USDA Forest Service has been monitoring the nation`s forest resources for more than 75 years. The program`s systematic, georeferenced, and multiphase inventory represents the most comprehensive, consistent, and current assessment of the US forests available. The FIA inventory is well-suited to provide answers to the multitude of fire and forest management questions. The four brief articles that follow are just a few examples of how the program`s inventory and analysis can be used to inform current forest fire debate.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationUSDA Forest Service 2003. Focus on...The right tools: Managing for fire using FIA inventory data. Collection of articles from Journal of Forestry. 101(2):6 p.
Keywordsfuel loadings, fuel-reductions, fire hazard, BIOSum, Montana, Oregon.
- Fuel mapping for the future
- Using FIA data to inform United States forest carbon national-level accounting needs: 1990-2010
- Broad-Scale Assessment of Fuel Treatment Opportunities
XML: View XML