Skip to Main Content
Minnesota's forest resources in 2001Author(s): Patrick D. Miles; Manfred E. Mielke; Gary J. Brand
Source: Resour. Bull. NC-217. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 24 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: North Central Research Station
View PDF (1.19 MB)
DescriptionResults of the combined 1999, 2000, and 2001 annual forest inventories of Minnesota show that 16.3 million acres or 32 percent of the total land area is forested. The estimate of total all live tree volume on forest land is 17.4 billion cubic feet or approximately 1,068 cubic feet per acre. Nearly 15.0 million acres of forest land in Minnesota are classified as timberland (forest land that is not reserved and is of high productivity). The estimate of growing-stock volume on timberland is 14.9 billion cubic feet or approximately 998 cubic feet per acre. All live aboveground tree biomass on timberland is estimated at 429 million dry tons or approximately 28.7 tons per acre. Important pests in Minnesota forests include the forest tent caterpillar, spruce budworm, large aspen tortrix, and introduced larch casebearer.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMiles, Patrick D.; Mielke, Manfred E.; Brand, Gary J. 2003. Minnesota''s forest resources in 2001. Resour. Bull. NC-217. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 24 p.
KeywordsAnnual inventory, forest area, forest type, volume, biomass, Minnesota.
- Minnesota's forest resources in 2002
- North Dakota's forest resources in 2002.
- North Dakota's forest resources in 2004
XML: View XML