Skip to Main Content
Indiana's forest resources in 2001Author(s): Earl C. Leatherberry; Manfred Mielke; Joey Gallion
Source: Resour. Bull. NC-220. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 20 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: North Central Research Station
View PDF (485.17 KB)
DescriptionResults of the combined 1999, 2000, and 2001 annual forest inventories of Indiana show that 4.4 million acres or 19 percent of the total land area is classified as forest land. The estimate of total all live tree volume on forest land is 8.1 billion cubic feet or approximately 1,830 cubic feet per acre. More than 4.3 million acres of forest land in Indiana are classified as timberland. The estimate of growing-stock volume on timberland is 7.1 billion cubic feet or approximately 1,633 cubic feet per acre. All live aboveground tree biomass on timberland is estimated at 219 million dry tons or approximately 50.6 tons per acre. Important pests in Indiana forests include the gypsy moth and locust leaf miner.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLeatherberry, Earl C.; Mielke, Manfred; Gallion, Joey. 2003. Indiana''s forest resources in 2001. Resour. Bull. NC-220. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 20 p.
KeywordsAnnual inventory, forest area, forest type, volume, biomass, Indiana.
- Minnesota's forest resources in 2001
- Minnesota's forest resources in 2002
- Iowa's forest resources in 2002.
XML: View XML