Skip to Main Content
Michigan's forest resources in 2001Author(s): Earl C. Leatherberry; Gary J. Brand
Source: Resour. Bull. NC-224. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 23 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: North Central Research Station
View PDF (3.51 MB)
DescriptionResults of the annual forest inventory of Michigan show an estimated 19.4 million acres of forest land in the State. The estimate of total all live tree volume on forest land is 29.8 billion cubic feet. Nearly 19 million acres of forest land in Michigan is classified as timberland. The estimagte of growing-stock volume on timberland is 27.2 billion cubic feet. All live aboveground tree biomass on timberland is estimated at 758 million dry tons. Michigan faces several major forest health concerns. Recently introduced exotic organisms are a serious health threat to Michigan''s native forest ecosystems. Other forest health concerns are gypsy moth infestations, oak wilt, and damage caused by the forest tent caterpillar.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLeatherberry, Earl C.; Brand, Gary J. 2003. Michigan''s forest resources in 2001. Resour. Bull. NC-224. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 23 p.
KeywordsAnnual inventory, forest land, forest type, growing-stock volume, Michigan.
- Wisconsin's forest resources in 2003
- Illinois's Forest Resources in 2002.
- Illinois' forest resources in 2004
XML: View XML