Skip to Main Content
Minnesota's forest resources in 2002Author(s): Patrick D. Miles; Gary J. Brand; Manfred E. Mielke
Source: Resour. Bull. NC-225. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 31 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: North Central Research Station
Download Publication (810.69 KB)
DescriptionResults of the combined 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2002 annual forest inventories of Minesota show that 16.3 million acres or 32 percent of the total land area is forested. The estimate of total all live tree volume on forest land is 17.6 billion cubic feet or approximately 1,080 cubic feet per acre. Just over 15.0 million acres of forest land in Minnesota is classified as timberland (forest land that is not reserved and is of high productivity). The estimate of growing-stock volume on timberland is 15.4 billion cubic feet or approximately 1,024 cubic feet per acre. all live aboveground tree biomass on timberland is estimated at 435 million dry tons or approximately 29.0 tons per acre. Important pest in Minnesota forests include the forest tent caterpillar and spruce budworm
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMiles, Patrick D.; Brand, Gary J.; Mielke, Manfred E. 2003. Minnesota''s forest resources in 2002. Resour. Bull. NC-225. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 31 p.
KeywordsAnnual inventory, forest area, forest type, volume, biomass, Minnesota
- Minnesota's forest resources in 2001
- North Dakota's forest resources in 2002.
- North Dakota's forest resources in 2004
XML: View XML