Skip to Main Content
South Dakota's forest resources in 2002.Author(s): Ronald J. Piva; Douglas Haugan; Gregory J. Josten; Gary J Brand
Source: Resour. Bull. NC-230. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 21 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: North Central Research Station
Download Publication (1.44 MB)
DescriptionResults of the 2002 annual inventory of South Dakota show an estimated 1.7 million acres of forest land in the State. Timberland accounts for 92 percent of the forest land area. Nearly 70 percent of the timberland is publicly owned. Over 80 percent (1.3 billion cubic feet) of the growing-stock volume on timberland comes from ponderosa pine. All live aboveground tree biomass on timberland totals an estimated 30.5 million dry tons. Known pests in South Dakota's forests include the mountain pine beetle, pine engraver beetle, cedar bark beetle, red turpentine beetle, and ash/lilac borer.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPiva, Ronald J.; Haugan, Douglas; Josten, Gregory J.; Brand, Gary J. 2004. South Dakota''s forest resources in 2002. Resour. Bull. NC-230. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 21 p.
KeywordsAnnual inventory, forest land, timberland, forest type, volume, biomass, forest health, South Dakota.
- South Dakota's forest resources in 2005
- Susceptibility of ponderosa pine, Pinus ponderosa (Dougl. Ex Laws.), to mountain pine beetle, Dendroctonus ponderosae Hopkins, attack in uneven-aged stands in the Black Hills of South Dakota and Wyoming USA
- South Dakota's forests 2005
XML: View XML