Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
An evaluation of reclamation tree planting in southwest VirginiaAuthor(s): Danny R. Brown; Donald L. Branson
Source: In: Trees for Reclamation Symposium Proceedings; Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-61. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 37-38
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (87.81 KB)
DescriptionSurface mining began in Southwest Virginia in the mid-1940's, however, few or no records were kept before 1950 and it was not until 1966 that the first Virginia reclamation law was passed. Two years later in 1968, the Division of Mined Land Reclamation was created and tree planting began on a uniform basis in Virginia surface mines.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBrown, Danny R.; Branson, Donald L. 1980. An evaluation of reclamation tree planting in southwest Virginia. In: Trees for Reclamation Symposium Proceedings; Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-61. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 37-38
- Reforestation of surface mines on lands of VICC Land Company
- Has anyone noticed that trees are not being planted any longer?
- Reforestation of mined land in the northeastern and north-central U.S.
XML: View XML