Skip to Main Content
Has anyone noticed that trees are not being planted any longer?Author(s): Walter D. Smith
Source: In: Trees for Reclamation Symposium Proceedings; Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-61. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 53-55
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (240.01 KB)
DescriptionTrees provided the coal surface mining industry with a means of restoring the land's productivity at a minimum expense. Trees may still be included in the reclamation plan but tree planting in Ohio was drastically reduced by the 1972 Ohio Surface Mining and Reclamation Law. The basic reasons are categorized as technical, social and economic. The revegetation phase of coal surface mined land is most vital to successful reclamation and hopefully trees will continue to contribute to such success.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSmith, Walter D. 1980. Has anyone noticed that trees are not being planted any longer?. In: Trees for Reclamation Symposium Proceedings; Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-61. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 53-55
- Reforestation of mined land in the northeastern and north-central U.S.
- Chapter 1: The Appalachian regional reforestation initiative
- Chapter 3: Selecting materials for mine soil construction when establishing forests on Appalachian mined lands
XML: View XML