Skip to Main Content
Revegetation of surface-mined lands in PennsylvaniaAuthor(s): G. Nevin Strock
Source: In: Trees for Reclamation Symposium Proceedings; Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-61. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 57-59
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (209.87 KB)
DescriptionThe reforestation of surface mines in Pennsylvania became prevalent in the middle 1940's with enactment of state legislation to regulate surface mining of bituminous coal. Though this early legislation did not provide for intensive environment protection standards in comparison to state legislation which followed in the early 1960's and early 1970's and in contrast to today's standards, did establish the beginning of large scale surface mine reclamation activities. The planting of trees became a significant part of the reclamation process. Tree planting continues to be a land reclamation practice for providing permanent, long-term vegetation for watershed protection, wildlife habitat and timber production.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationStrock, G. Nevin. 1980. Revegetation of surface-mined lands in Pennsylvania. In: Trees for Reclamation Symposium Proceedings; Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-61. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 57-59
- Chapter 7: Selecting tree species for reforestation of Appalachian mined lands
- An evaluation of reclamation tree planting in southwest Virginia
- Reforestation of mined land in the northeastern and north-central U.S.
XML: View XML