Skip to Main Content
Forest Resources of the United States, 2002Author(s): W. Brad Smith; Patrick D. Miles; John S. Vissage; Scott A. Pugh
Source: General Technical Report NC-241. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
View PDF (5.84 MB)
DescriptionForest resource growth, harvests, and land use conversion can change inventories within States, among regions, and even among countries, and can significantly influence the future performance of resources. This could affect the State, regional, and national economies that depend on the affected resources, as well as the resource environments. Periodic surveys provide information needed to assess the current status and performance of resources, and to estimate their future condition. As required by the Forest and Rangeland Renewable Resources Planning Act of 1974 (RPA), P.L. 93-378, 88 Stat. 4765, as amended, this report updates information on the Nation?s forest resource. This report updates resource statistics published by Smith et al. (2001). For brevity and balance in presenting reporting periods in tabular outputs, RPA Assessment data for 1963, 1970, and 1992 have been omitted from this report. To provide a context for evaluating and interpreting changes in the forest resource, data for 1953, 1963 (some tables), 1977, 1987, and 1997 are included. A forest type map produced from satellite imagery displaying the area and location of forest land in the United States is available on the Internet at http://www.nationalatlas.gov. A compact disk (CD) is provided in a pocket at the back of this publication that contains the data used for this report and an interactive computer tool for accessing and displaying the data in tables and maps. A user manual with tutorials is provided on the CD.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSmith, W. Brad; Miles, Patrick D.; Vissage, John S.; Pugh, Scott A. 2004. Forest Resources of the United States, 2002. General Technical Report NC-241. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station
KeywordsRPA, assessment, inventory, forest statistics, area, volume, trends
- Forest Resources of the United States, 2007
Planted forests and plantations
Removals, timber products, and residues
XML: View XML