Skip to Main Content
The pine Pschi4 promoter directs wound-induced transcriptionAuthor(s): Haiguo Wu; Charles H. Michler; Liborio LaRussa; John M. Davis
Source: Plant Science. Vol. 142 p. 199-207. (1999)
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.48 MB)
DescriptionMechanical wounding stimulates the accumulation of Pschi4 transcripts (encoding a putative extracellular chitinase) in pine trees. To gain insight into the transcriptional regulatory region(s) in this gymnosperm defense gene, the 5'-flanking region of Pschi4 was fused to the uidA reporter gene encoding -glucuronidase (GUS), and the construct was functionally tested for transient expression in onion and pine cells. As little as 200 bp of the upstream sequence was sufficient to promote activated transcription and nearly maximum levels of transient expression in onion cells. Similar results were obtained in bombarded pine cells, although maximum expression appeared to require the entire 4.5 kb of upstream sequence. Having defined potential regulatory regions in the 5' flanking region of Pschi4 in transient assays, the pine promoter-uidA fusions were functionally tested in stably transformed tobacco plants. As little as 200 bp of the upstream sequence was sufficient to direct wound-inducible transcription. Furthermore, particle bombardment was sufficient to stimulate transgene expression in the transgenic tobacco, indicating that bombardment per se leads to wound responses in vivo. Taken as a whole, our data demonstrate that a gymnosperm promoter can recruit a wound-regulated signal transduction pathway in angiosperms. This suggests that the downstream components of wound signaling pathways are functionally conserved across broad taxonomic groups.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWu, Haiguo; Michler, Charles H.; LaRussa, Liborio; Davis, John M. 1999. The pine Pschi4 promoter directs wound-induced transcription. Plant Science. Vol. 142 p. 199-207. (1999)
KeywordsAngiosperm, Bombardment, Gymnosperm, Promoter, Wounding
- Systematics of Thysanoptera, pear thrips and other economic species
- Genetic anaylsis of a disease resistance gene from loblolly pine
- Incorporation of hydroxy-cinnamaldehydes into lignins
XML: View XML