Skip to Main Content
Florida's forests, 1995Author(s): Mark J. Brown
Source: Resour. Bull. SRS-48. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 83 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (5.7 B)
DescriptionBetween 1987 and 1995, timberland area in Florida decreased by 2 percent to less than 14.7 million acres. Timberland under nonindustrial private ownership increased 2 percent to 7.2 million acres, and public ownership increased 16 percent to 2.8 million acres. However, timberland controlled by forest industry decreased by 16 percent to 4.6 million acres. Pine plantations now account for 32 percent of the State’s timberland, the highest proportion in the South. Volume of softwood growing stock increased almost 5 percent to 9.4 billion cubic feet, and volume of hardwood growing stock increased nearly 10 percent to more than 5.9 billion cubic feet. Net annual growth of softwood growing stock increased 9 percent to 532 million cubic feet, and that of hardwood increased 14 percent to 161 million cubic feet. Average annual removals of softwood growing stock changed little at 473 million cubic feet, whereas hardwood removals increased 33 percent to 88 million cubic feet.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBrown, Mark J. 1999. Florida''s forests, 1995. Resour. Bull. SRS-48. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 83 p.
KeywordsForest type, growing stock, harvest, mortality, ownership, regeneration, removals, timberland, volume.
- Forest statistics for Florida, 1995
- Forest statistics for Florida, 1987
- Forest statistics for Georgia, 1989
XML: View XML