Skip to Main Content
Pine shoot beetle, Tomicus piniperda (Col., Scolytidae), responses to commn green leaf volatilesAuthor(s): Therese M. Poland; Robert A. Haack
Source: J. Appl. Ent. Vol. 124 p. 63-69. (2000)
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.16 MB)
DescriptionWe tested the hypothesis that green leaf volatiles (GLVs) disrupt the response of overwintered pine shoot beetles, Tomicus piniperda (L.) to multiple-funnel traps baited with the attractive host volatile -pinene. A combination of four GLV alcohols, 1-hexanol (E)-2-hexen-l-ol (Z)-2-hexen-l-ol, and (Z)-3-hexen-l-ol, caused 54 and 36% reduction in the number of pine shoot beetles captured in two separate trapping experiments. Similarly, a combination of the four alcohols plus two GLV aldehydes, hexanal and (E)-2-hexenal, caused 38% reduction in the number of pine shoot beetles captured compared with -pinene alone. A blend of the two GLV aldehydes was not disruptive. None of the four GLV alcohols nor the two GLV aldehydes were disruptive when tested individually. The finding that the blend of four GLV alcohols reduced attraction of T. piniperda supports the general hypothesis that GLVs common to nonhost angiosperms are disruptive to conifer-attacking bark beetles (Scolytidae).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPoland, Therese M.; Haack, Robert A. 2000. Pine shoot beetle, Tomicus piniperda (Col., Scolytidae), responses to commn green leaf volatiles. J. Appl. Ent. Vol. 124 p. 63-69. (2000)
KeywordsGLV, Tomicus piniperda, 1-hexanol (E)-2-hexen-1-ol (Z)-2-hexen-1-ol, (Z)-3-hexen-1-ol, T. piniprda
- Green leaf volatiles disrupt responses by the spruce beetle, Dendroctonus rufipennis, and the western pine beetle, Dendroctonus brevicomis (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) to attractant-baited traps
- Semiochemical disruption of the pine shoot beetle, Tomicus piniperda (Coleoptera: Scolytidae)
- Responses of Dendroctonus brevicomis (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) in behavioral assays: Implications to development of a semiochemical-based tool for tree protection
XML: View XML