Skip to Main Content
Tomicus Piniperda (Coleoptera: Scolytidae): Is Shoot-Feeding Requires For Reproductive MaturationAuthor(s): Therese M. Poland; Robert A. Haack
Source: Great Lakes Entomologist. Vol. 33 no.1 p. 9-15. (2000)
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (3.39 MB)
DescriptionThe pine shoot beetle, Tomicus piniperda (Coleoptera: Scolytidae), is a univoltine pest of pine in its native range of Europe and Asia. Tomicus piniperda is now widely established in the Great Lakes region and poses a potentially significant threat to other pine-producing areas in North America. An unusual aspect of the life history of T. piniperda is the extended period of maturation-feeding that takes place in the shoots of living pine trees and subsequent overwintering before adults reproduce the following year. We investigated the extent to which shoot-feeding is required by newly-emerged T. piniperda before introduction into Scotch pine (Pinus sylvestris) logs and before any overwintering, in order for successful reproduction to occur. Tomicus piniperda F1 adults successfully reproduced in pine logs in the laboratory after either no shoot-feeding or after 2 to 10 weeks of shoot-feeding. Thus, it is theoretically possible for T. piniperda to be multivoltine, yet it remains univoltine.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPoland , Therese M.; Haack, Robert A. 2000. Tomicus Piniperda (Coleoptera: Scolytidae): Is Shoot-Feeding Requires For Reproductive Maturation. Great Lakes Entomologist. Vol. 33 no.1 p. 9-15. (2000)
KeywordsT. piniperda, Pinus sylvestris, shoot-feeding, Great Lakes, Europe, Asia
- Seasonal Shoot-Feeding By Tomicus Piniperda (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) In Michigan
- Tomicus Piniperda (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) Reproduction and Behavior on Scotch Pine Christmas Trees taken Indoors
- Dispersal of Tomicus Piniperda (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) From Operational and Simulated Mill Yards
XML: View XML