Skip to Main Content
African American and Hispanic American sportsmen in the north central regionAuthor(s): Allan Marsinko; John Dwyer
Source: In: Schuster, Rudy, comp., ed. Proceedings of the 2002 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-302. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 28-32
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (372.77 KB)
DescriptionPublic forest managers need an awareness and understanding of their clients in order to better address their needs for recreational uses of forest lands. This study examines and characterizes African American and Hispanic American sportsmen (hunters and anglers) in the North Central Region of the United Stares (IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI) and compares them to African American and Hispanic American nonparticipants in the region, as well as African American and Hispanic American sportsmen outside the region. The analysis follows the suggestion of Woodard (1993) that minority groups should not be compared with other groups (as is so often the case); but rather the variation within each group should be examined. This avoids the implication that minority groups should be evaluated in terms of and strive to behave like the majority population. In addition, factors associated with African and Hispanic American participation in hunting and fishing are investigated. The analysis is based on the 1995-1996 National Survey of Fishing, Hunting, and Wildlife-Associated Recreation, and presents implications for management and research.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMarsinko, Allan; Dwyer, John. 2003. African American and Hispanic American sportsmen in the north central region. In: Schuster, Rudy, comp., ed. Proceedings of the 2002 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-302. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 28-32
- On-site wildland activity choices among African Americans and White Americans in the rural south: implications for management
- Theoretical Perspectives of Ethnicity and Outdoor Recreation: A Review and Synthesis of African-American and European-American Participation
- African American exposure to prescribed fire smoke in Georgia, USA
XML: View XML